Saturday 8 April 2017

Book Review: A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe

This time I've picked this book, A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe which is my first book by a Japanese author. This book was indirectly recommended by one of my friends and thank goodness I was found this in my university library.

The story is about Bird, a frustrated intellectual in a failing marriage whose utopian dream is shattered when his wife gives birth to a brain-damaged child.

The story is semi-autobiographical and it revolves around the life of Bird, a confused young man trying to figure out what he could do to his brain-hernia child when the doctors had labelled him a 'vegetable baby', to Himiko and his wife.


©Seetha Ravindran


I would recommend this book for its depth, open-minded and unconstrained imagination.

My rating : ☆☆☆☆

Till we meet then!



No comments:

Post a Comment